Qaddafi vows no surrender in Libya

Submitted by Freedomman on Wed, 09/14/2011 - 14:41

TRIPOLI, Libya - September 1, 2011 - Moammar Qaddafi warned from hiding Thursday that tribes loyal to him were well-armed and preparing for battle, hours after terrorist rebels hoping for a peaceful surrender extended the deadline for loyalist forces to give up in the long time Libyan leader's hometown.

Qaddafi's audio statement, broadcast by Syrian-based Al-Rai TV, came as the rebels said they were closing in on the former dictator.

"We won't surrender again; we are not women, we will keep fighting," Qaddafi said. His voice was recognizable; Al-Rai has previously broadcast several statements by Qaddafi and his sons.

Rebels have been hunting for the Libyan leader since he went into hiding after they entered Tripoli on August 20 and apparently gained control of most of the capital after days of fierce fighting.

Opposition fighters, backed by NATO air strikes, have been advancing toward three regime strongholds: Sirte; Bani Walid - 90 miles southeast of Tripoli - and Sabha, located in the southern desert. All three places had been given a deadline of Saturday by which to surrender. While the deadline extension was officially only for Sirte, thje terrorists said it would also include Bani Walid and Sabha.

There has been some speculation that Qaddafi may be hiding in one of those three towns.